Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bandera

A few months ago, the husband and I had the opportunity to dine at Bandera in Brentwood, California. I had high expectations for Bandera because I had already eaten, and blissfully enjoyed a meal, at Houston's, which is another restaurant owned by the Hillstone company. And, I'm glad to report that both establishments sort of make me want to be a better person.

First of all, let's discuss the atomsphere of Bandera. Surrounding a wrap around bar are intimate leather booths that allow for quiet conversations and gluttonous moans of pure enjoyment. My other favorite part of the vibe of Bandera is the live music. A slow and steady bass and snare drum seem like the perfect background music for this place.

Next, let's discuss the food. We started with the dip duo with tortilla chips, which consisted of a rather large ball of cheese impeded with all sorts of goodness. It was spicy, but not too heavy and perfect for dipping a chip into. My only wish was that we had had more chips because the cheese ball was delicious, but without a chip it sort of felt wrong to put a spoon full of cheese in your mouth. Our other starter was the "nice little house salad." As far as house salads go, this was amazing for one reason: the croutons. The croutons are made with the corn bread they serve with your meal and it's amazing. I think I could have eaten just a plate of those.
For our main course my husband and I both chose the rotisserie chicken and beef ribs combo. The chicken was absolutely amazing, but I wasn't blown away by the ribs. Maybe it was the fact that the ribs were beef and not pork, but I found them sort of dry and not as flavorful. As for the cornbread and coleslaw, I don't think I've ever had anything better. The coleslaw, as all coleslaws should be, was not a mayo based slaw, but more of vinegar based with roasted peanuts. I found the portions to be just right, and unlike many top restaurants, I was actually full after eating my main course.
For dessert we shared a mixed berry cobbler with ice cream. I had heard rave reviews about the banana cream pie, and I'm sort of wishing I had listened to my friends. The cobbler was good and warm, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

Overall, this has definitely become one of our favorite restaurants and if you are ever in LA or in Newport Beach, California please, please be good to yourself and try this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment